[Neo4j] Scalability Roadmap

Mattias Persson mattias at neotechnology.com
Sat Nov 19 11:20:48 CET 2011

2011/11/18 serge <s.fedorov91 at gmail.com>

> Are these following topics will be treated in future release (and when if
> you
> know) ?
>
> 1/ Supernode
>
> I know there is a big downside in handle of super-nodes, which can be a big
> issue in a twitter-like website with, for example a user followed by more
> than 200k users (i have in head, real case) or in a recommendation system
> which have sophisticated rules.
>
> I would like to know if the "super-node issue" (as we name it) is planned
> be investigated in futures releases ?
>
> Just to clarify. Super nodes aren't handles well in neo4j a.t.m.
Specifically what's bad about how they are handled is that to get any
relationship from a node they all have to be loaded once first into cache,
regardless of which type you requested. One solution is to be able to only
load relationships that you request so that getting, say 3 relationships of
type A from a super node with millions of relationships of types A,B,C and
D it would only need to load those 3 A relationships. If you would like to
get all relationships from such a super node they would all have to be
loaded anyway, right? And that brings me to another solution, preferably in
conjunction with the former, to have an optimized storage of such super
nodes so that relationships can be loaded serialized in bigger chunks from
disk.

When you think of super nodes (and a solution) which of these are you
thinking about first and foremost? Or something that I didn't mention here
even?