[Neo4j] [URGENT] Recommended server configurations

José Devezas joseluisdevezas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:56:19 CET 2011

You can use Neo Technology's Hardware Sizing Calculator to estimate the
CPU, RAM and disk space needed for your set up prediction:
http://neotechnology.com/calculator/trial.html

If you're not doing a batch insertion, the REST API would be fine I guess,
specially if you put the database on a separate machine.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Jacob Hansson <
jacob.hansson at neotechnology.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM, gustavoboby <gustavoboby at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi people's,
> >
> > I'm creating a social network with a larg number of expected hits and i
> > need
> > help with
> > the server recommended configurations:
> >
> > 1 - Operating system (Linux or Windows? What specifically?)
> >

> If you have the choice, Linux is preferable. We fully support both
> platforms, but generally get higher performance on Linux, and less
> problems.
>

> > 2 - Hardware (How much Memory necessary?)
> >

> This completely depends on how much data you intend to store. Can you
> provide an estimation of how big your dataset would be? Number of nodes,
> number of relationships per nodes, and how many properties (on both nodes
> and relationships), and what types of property values.
>

> > You think the use of Neo4j REST API will cause problem? I use it to
> develop
> > my Asp.Net
> > applications
> >

> It depends on how you use it. Generally, you will get reasonable insert
> speed if the client you use supports the batch operations part of the REST
> API, query speed will depend on the query of course. You will get
> significantly better performance with the embedded database right now, but
> that is only available in JVM languages and Python.
>

> > I am open to suggestions!!
> >
> > I thank the help.
> >
> > --

> Jacob Hansson
> Phone: +46 (0) 763503395
> Twitter: @jakewins

José Devezas - http://www.josedevezas.com
MSc Informatics and Computing Engineering
Social Media and Network Theory Research