[Neo4j] Graph visualization

Keiichiro Ono keiono at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:38:13 CEST 2010

Hi Christopher.

My point is, 3D graph visualization is worth trying (because it's cool
:-) ), but still an open question even for researchers in data
visualization field.  Although this is a hard problem, but I've
already got some use cases.  In general, graph database users wants
visualization not only for visualizing network topology, but also for
layering extra data sets onto the graph.  We can do it in 2D space:

http://tumblr.keiono.net/page/3

but what happens if data sets are more complex?  Maybe just adding
images to graph nodes is not good enough.  In such cases, 3D
visualization might be an option.  Also, many users are interested in
substructures or relationships between graphs.  We can visualize it in
2D space:

http://tumblr.keiono.net/post/579161771

but again, this is not a perfect solution if users want to visualize
layers of networks or want to add edges between modules/subgraphs.
Visualizing layers in 3D space can be helpful in some situations.

So, my conclusion is, 3D graph visualization is a great option if it
can solve any problems we cannot solve in 2D space.  If someone try to
solve any of these problems, I'm really interested in it (and can be a
great opportunity for collaboration).

Thanks,
Kei