[Neo4j] deleting index

Mattias Persson mattias at neotechnology.com
Mon Jun 21 11:14:52 CEST 2010

2010/6/20 Alexander Viefhues <alex.nightfever at gmx.de>:
> Hello,
>
> for my graphalgorithm I create a new index, this
> index is only used in one iteration of the algorithm.
> After that I delete the index from all nodes.
> But after deleting the index there still is an
> folder with the indexname in the lucene folder,
> the size of each folder is always ca. 60kb.
> In my case I create over 4000 indices for each
> algorithm run, so after a few runs the system
> became slower and slower.
>
> Why these folders are not deleted if the index is
> empty?

Hi Alexander,

this is the first use case like this (that I've seen anyway)... where
many indices are created and has a very short lifespan. I assume
you're using the LuceneIndexService#removeIndex(String key) right? I
see that it just clears the index, it doesn't delete the index on
disk. And I see that it will still take up some memory in the JVM as
well. I'll see what I can do about it!