[Neo4j] [Neo] Event framework has landed

Mattias Persson mattias at neotechnology.com
Tue Jun 15 10:50:50 CEST 2010

2010/6/11 Atle Prange <atle.prange at gmail.com>:
> Regarding the performance:
>
> I have tried to tweak Babudb, but could not get any more out of it
> than you did. I guess when you put 5M entries at once, there is only
> so much tweaking one can do. (At least for babudb). It seems odd
> though, since babudb is a less complicated framework, with less
> features. We should contact the babudb guys and ask why we see the
> results that we see.
>
> Regarding keys:
>
> Having one entry in the db for each value will give the fastest update
> speed, but will be slower for a large number of nodes with the same
> value. Having an entry with all the ids will make a large entry,
> causing more bytes to be written to disk for every update.

I tried having keys without the value in them (also making the index
only support zero or one value per key) and it was very fast. If this
approach would support multiple ids in a value, insertion speed would
be even slower (due to lookup for every insert). But it would
definately be an interesting implementation to use for one-to-one
lookups! Also I noticed that insertion speed degrades quite heavily
around 5M entries.

Numbers:
1000 lookups (in an index with 5M key/value pairs): 30-40ms (0.03 ms/lookup)

that is quite impressive and may be worth implementing as an index
provider for such indices.