[Neo] SparQL engine?

Ryan Levering rrlevering at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 06:45:54 CET 2010

Marko,

Sorry to repeat myself everyone, but I'll answer more comprehensively
this time so this thread doesn't trickle.  I originally wrote the
engine for Sesame but at the time (2005) there were no other SPARQL
interpreters for any system (besides a poorly written one for Jena),
so I made it general purpose.  The goal of the project was to write a
SPARQL query interpreter that could be easily plugged into any backend
of triples.  The first version of Sesame 2 used this library and I
wrote an adapter for Sesame 1.  The guys at OpenRDF eventually decided
they wanted their own SPARQL interpreter, because they were working on
a more generic query language infrastructure which converts all of
their possible query languages (serql, sparql, etc) into a common
query structure and then did more database specific optimizations.

Currently it stands as a library with a fairly low entry point to get
SPARQL interpretation for any database that can hold triples.  It's a
bit overengineered, but it does handle moderate sized data sets fairly
well, because it is very conservative about caching.  It's not as
efficient as if you wrote one from scratch for your own triple store,
because it doesn't have as many hooks into the db to do certain
predictive query optimizations and it's conservative nature.  If the
spec has changed in the last two years it also won't have fixes, like
you noticed.  At the very least, there is a decent jjt grammar there
to do the language parsing if you were going to roll your own.

Someday I will go back and finish off this project by adding some more
optimization hooks and finishing the debugger, but it won't be soon.
If there are actual serious bugs in it, I would be happy to fix them.
I do still get notifications from SourceForge for that project.

Cheers,
Ryan Levering