[Neo4j] Run neo4j on IBM websphere 6 (JDK 1.5)

Ron van Weverwijk neo4j at weverwijk.net
Thu Dec 23 14:14:16 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to use NEO4J-HA on an IBM websphere 6 application server (the
JDK version is 1.5).
The NEO4J website states that JDK 1.5 is required to use NEO4J.
Unfortunately the NEO4J-HA module is compiled with 1.6. Which results in
the famous java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError.

We fixed this by setting the source and target elements in the pom to 1.5.
After that we run to the next problem.
The class: org.neo4j.management.impl.JmxExtension is using some SUN
specific JMX classes like sun.management.ConnectorAddressLink. This causes
problems because these classes are not available on IBM. We are getting the
following exception:
INFO: Failed to load local JMX configuration.
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
        at
        at
org.neo4j.management.impl.JmxExtension$JmxData.<init>(JmxExtension.java:130)
        at
org.neo4j.management.impl.JmxExtension.loadBeans(JmxExtension.java:102)
        at
org.neo4j.management.impl.JmxExtension.load(JmxExtension.java:63)
        at
org.neo4j.kernel.KernelExtension$KernelData.loadAll(KernelExtension.java:171)
        at
org.neo4j.kernel.EmbeddedGraphDbImpl$2.load(EmbeddedGraphDbImpl.java:165)
        at
org.neo4j.kernel.EmbeddedGraphDbImpl.<init>(EmbeddedGraphDbImpl.java:170)
        at
org.neo4j.kernel.EmbeddedGraphDatabase.<init>(EmbeddedGraphDatabase.java:81)
        at
org.neo4j.kernel.EmbeddedGraphDatabase.<init>(EmbeddedGraphDatabase.java:65)
        at
nl.kvk.htr.fitnesse.triggers.StartLocalHaDb.main(StartLocalHaDb.java:23)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
sun/misc/Perf.registerNatives()V
        at sun.misc.Perf.<clinit>(Perf.java:540)
        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:196)
        at
sun.management.ConnectorAddressLink.importFrom(ConnectorAddressLink.java:81)
        ... 13 more

Are there some people with experience on running the NEO4J project on the
IBM JDK 1.5?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ron