[Neo4j] How to get friends of friends using rest?

Peter Neubauer peter.neubauer at neotechnology.com
Sun Dec 12 21:11:07 CET 2010

Hi Snipe,
Max has been putting out a lot of good examples for the REST API in
his Ruby bindings, look at   https://github.com/maxdemarzi/neography.

In there, you will find for instance

n1.outgoing(:friends).depth(2).include_start_node

Which I think does exactly what you are trying to do? Not sure right
now what the REST call looks like but I would say something like

POST /node/123/traverse/node

with a body of

{
  "order": "depth first",
  "uniqueness": "node path",
  "relationships": [
    { "type": "KNOWS", "direction": "out" }
  ],
  "return filter": {
    "language": "javascript",
    "name": "position.length == 2"
  },
  "max depth": 2
}

Does that work? I hope that very soon we are going to move to real
scripting support when it comes to traversals, so you can do them in
JavaScript, JRuby or Gremlin. Until then, the above should be
something you can work with ...

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

COO and Sales, Neo Technology