[Neo4j] Performance benchmarks of REST API vs embedded Neo4J

Alex Averbuch alex.averbuch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 15:50:28 CET 2010

Hi Rick,
You could get a ballpark comparison by using
Blueprints<https://github.com/tinkerpop/blueprints>,
and comparing the performance of
Neo4jGraph<https://github.com/tinkerpop/blueprints/tree/master/src/main/java/com/tinkerpop/blueprints/pgm/impls/neo4j/>
with
the performance of
RexsterGraph<https://github.com/tinkerpop/blueprints/blob/master/src/main/java/com/tinkerpop/blueprints/pgm/impls/rexster/RexsterGraph.java>
.

"Rexster <https://github.com/tinkerpop/rexster> is a RESTful graph shell
that exposes any Blueprints graph through a standalone HTTP server"

Using Neo4jGraph is straight forward.
For a discussion on using RexsterGraph go
here<http://groups.google.com/group/gremlin-users/browse_thread/thread/aa9ad740c8fed156/9a7510a3e36f1d72?lnk=gst&q=rexster#9a7510a3e36f1d72>
.

If you know the type of graph operations that you would like to test,
GraphDB-Bench <https://github.com/tinkerpop/graphdb-bench> can be used to
compare performance of the two Graph implementations (Embedded vs REST).

What type of graph operations would you like to test?
I might be able to help by setting up the specific GraphDB-Bench benchmark
for you.

Cheers,
Alex