[Neo4j] Status of visualization options

Kalin Wilson Development dev at kalinwilson.com
Thu Dec 2 07:23:46 CET 2010

I'm prototyping an app using Neo4j. Currently for testing and familiarity I can generate a random network of any size.
I am using JIT (http://thejit.org) to visualize the graph on a web page via Javascript, basically using the Force Directed example 2 with my JSON data instead of the example data.
For small graphs (< 50 nodes, < 200 or so relationships) the performance is OK, large graphs take a long time to display but once displayed the interactivity is fine. I haven't done any troubleshooting or benchmarking to see where the issues are, but it appears to be the JSON ingestion and/or the layout calculations.
I'm also planning to look at MxGraph (http://www.mxgraph.com) as it offers a rich api/model and purports to be performant.

Anyway JIT appears to be fairly easy to work with but may have some performance limitations.

Cheers,
 Kalin