[Neo4j] neo4j REST server configuration

Brock Rousseau brockr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:22:05 CEST 2010

Hey David, Jim,

When setting up the REST server we implemented a persistent caching layer
that handles its own expiration control. Our front end makes requests to the
cache layer which decides whether it's necessary to hit the REST server for
fresh data.

David, I like your idea about implementing domain-specific operations in the
REST API. There are series of requests in our current code which could be
handled entirely on the REST server with one set of input. We're planning on
pursuing both that and the HA feature in the near future for performance
gains.

As for the OpenTransaction issue, I was able to dig into it more today and
found interesting results. At one point when there were 200 open
transactions (and the thread count roughly matched) I closed the firewall
port to prevent additional requests. The thread count and OpenTransaction
number slowly dropped over a period of about 20 minutes.

Our front end servers are configured to time out after 5 seconds with no
response from the REST server, but is it possible that the server itself
continues indefinitely with long running traversals which then accumulate
over time? If that is the case, is it possible to configure a similar
timeout on the backend of the REST server?

-Brock