[Neo] neo4j for the sysadmin?

Paul.Bock at zodiacaerospace.com Paul.Bock at zodiacaerospace.com
Tue Apr 27 17:25:20 CEST 2010

Zach,
  Thanks for asking the questions I was too sheepish to ask.

  I have been struggling to get my java environment up to run through the
getting-started guide's examples.  For some reason the example code only
works if I remove or comment out the package line.  I did this based on
what I saw in the error messages, but have no idea why it works or what is
broke that is not allowing it to work as originally written.

That said, I really like the idea of graph databases.

As I try to figure out how to model my data using graphs, I am getting
lost in how to choose what stuff goes with which object.  For instance,
should a bunch of properties be tagged on one object, or several objects.
If I break it down to several objects, will I make assocaitions more
difficult to access later?  I like the sample data model articles that are
being written.  It gets me thinking how someone else implemented a
structure using this tool.

Paul Bock

Zach White <zach at box.net>
Sent by: user-bounces at lists.neo4j.org
04/27/2010 02:38 AM
Please respond to
Neo user discussions <user at lists.neo4j.org>

user at lists.neo4j.org
cc

Subject
[Neo] neo4j for the sysadmin?

Hi Everyone,

I would find it very helpful if there was some documentation targetted at
sysadmins. Something that gave us a brief overview of what neo4j is
(keeping in mind that most us have not done any java programming, even if
we have experience working with and deploying java apps) and gives us
hints on finding the information that we're looking for. I would say
there's two basic (but very different) needs that the average admin is
trying to fill:

1. Download and install the software for a user that asks for it

I've spent the last 2 hours poking around the site and the wiki, but until
I found "Getting Started REST" I had no inkling that there was a
standalone server that could be setup. A user who has asked their sysadmin
to "install neo4j" is most likely to want the RESTful server to query
against, since they would otherwise just download the class files
themselves.

2. Learn about neo4j prior to a deployment so they can support an
engineering dept that has decided to use neo4j, or so they can sign off on
a decision to use neo4j.

It is this need that I am trying to fill.

I spent some time looking over the site, but was only successful in
finding bits and pieces of what I wanted. I finally asked on irc, and was
pointed to the Performance Guide and Configuration Settings page (thanks
thobe,) which helped too, but I'm still feeling a bit lost.

Here's a list of the types of questions I'm trying to answer (presumably
about the REST API):

* Is there a preferred way to package this, or am I rolling my own
RPM/debs?
* Can I make the app fit into the FHS, or is running it in a
self-contained directory my only reasonable option? (Reasonable means I
don't have to patch the source code.)
* How do I scale this up? How much RAM will it take before CPU or Disk I/O
are my main bottlenecks? Do I ever have to worry about CPU, or will I run
out of RAM and Disk I/O long before I could think about using all the
processing power in a modern multi-core hyperthreaded processor?
* Can I change configuration options without doing a full restart?
* What are the replication options? Do any of them handle having the
databases in separate geographical areas (say 80-250ms from each other?)
What about periods where connectivity is broken, how does neo4j handle
that situation?
* How do I upgrade neo4j without downtime for end users? (This implies
working master/master replication or the ability to promote a slave
gracefully.)
* What happens if the app dies in a non-clean fashion? (kill -9, OOM,
power lost, SAN catches fire, whatever)

That covers the "sysadmin" side of the equation, but treats neo4j like a
black box. Most sysadmins will want to interact with the database a
little, since they will likely be asked to look things up or make minor
modifications. The REST API documentation is clear enough to me, but I am
not the average sysadmin. Most of the admins I work with need something a
little more howto and a little less reference.

A short howto-style narrative explaining how to use curl or poster to
query the root node, follow links, and view properties would go a long
towards giving sysadmins some basic visibility into the DB. Following that
up with some simple examples showing how to pull some basic stats (number
of nodes, number of relationships, size of db, or whatever is exposed)
would cover 80% of what most sysadmins need to get out of the database.

Finally, in an attempt to bring this too-long email to a close, allow me
to doff my Professional SysAdmin hat and put on my hobbyist programmer
fedora.

I've actually briefly explored using neo4j in a personal project I was
doing, but did not spend long considering it. At the time there was no
AJAX component and I brushed it off with, "just another java database, man
I hate java." (Hey, I said hobbiest, not professional. ;)

Now that I know about the existence of the AJAX component and the python
module, and have spent a little time looking, the project interests me a
lot more. I could see myself using neo4j as the backend for some of my toy
projects. The same information that you would be providing for sysadmins,
based on what I wrote above, would also be helpful in educating the
hypothetical hobbiest who doesn't know about neo4j yet.

Perhaps what's needed to assist both groups of users is a FAQ that
contains some of this information and is easier to find. (To find the FAQ
I first looked on the front page of neo4j.org, went to "Documentation,"
tried the wiki because nothing else looked right, and finally found the
FAQ buried in the middle of the page.)

Thanks for reading and considering my suggestion.

-Zach