[Neo] Cleaning up relationshiptypes

Niels Hoogeveen pd_aficionado at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 03:52:56 CEST 2010

I see the deeper issue to the cleanup problem is the fact that it is impossible to list all Relationships of a RelationshipType, which of course has several more use cases.
It's conceivable in certain applications it is desirable to add a certain property to all Relationships of a specific Relationship type.
Certain queries can be made faster when it is possible to iterate over the Relationships of a RelationshipType, especially when the number of instances of that RelationshipType is small compared to the potential number of Nodes that can have such a Relationship.
I have come to realize that Nodes and Relationships are not implemented on equal footing, despite the fact that both are PropertyContainers. The currently provided traversers eg. are Node based, returning a Node iterator, and keeping track of visited nodes, while it is equally conceivable to have traversers that return a Relationship iterator, and keep track of visited Relationships. GraphDatabaseService provides a method to list all nodes but not a method to list all relationships. GraphDatabaseService provides a method to create a node, but it doesn't provide a method to create a relationship. And there are probably other subtle signs that treat Nodes as primary to Relationships.
In the end there are as many reasons to query Relationships as there are reasons to query Nodes, so providing equal facilities to do so would enhance the usability of Neo4J. I haven't looked into the implementation details of Relationships and RelationshipTypes to see if there are severe performance penalties for maintaining additional structure to facilitate the lookup of the Relationships of a RelationshipType, but I will certainly look into it and hope to come up with a reasonable suggestion.
Niels Hoogeveen