[Neo] force preloading into memory

Erik Ask ask.erik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 18:31:38 CEST 2010

Hello

I'm getting really slow performance when working against the HD. A
given set of queries can take up to 10 minutes when performed the
first time. Repeating the same set of queries a second time is
executed in seconds (2-5). As far as I can tell from watching in
jconsole, the heap behaves in almost the exact same maner (slowly
rising slope) for both transactions (each set of queries has it own
transaction) so it seems the speedup is due to memory mapping. I've
tinkered with the settings, but is there a way of explicitly forcing
the IO mapper to preload all or part of the node store and
relationship store? Am I right to assume that initially nothing is IO
mapped and these buffers builds up during runtime as requests are
made? Is there any way of tuning access to the HD?

greetz