[Neo] data not persisting in tutorial jruby rails app

Stephen Cohen scohenenator at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:53:11 CEST 2009

I've been trying to setup the app described in the jruby on rails portion of
the tutorial here:
http://github.com/andreasronge/neo4j/blob/469d0b093c69ea542c0a63a499b5395b7d8544d6/README.rdoc

It looks really cool, but I can't get it to work.  The code out of the box
was just not running, until I wrapped the Action Controller functions
with Neo4j::Transaction.run { } statements.

That made everything look like it was working, but nothing ever appears on
the index.html.erb pages.  The directory I'm pointing to with
my Neo4j::Config[:storage_path] directive in environment.rb does actually
change with each form submit inside my rails app.  I just can't ever see any
results.

I'm on a Macbook Pro using all the latest versions of code.

Has anybody had any luck putting together the neo4j jruby tutorial?  The
tutorial is clearly out of date as it says to use "config.gem "neo4j",
:version => "0.0.7"" and that's the version from last year.

I'm guessing the problem is related to the Autotransaction capability.
 Maybe it never finishes a Transaction?  Either way, I've experimented with
every permutation of manually doing Transaction.runs and Transaction.new
followed by Transaction.finish.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen