[Neo] Neo4j vs Hadoop

Peter Neubauer peter.neubauer at jayway.se
Fri Apr 24 11:06:52 CEST 2009

Hi Mohamed,
in principle, Hadoop and other Key-Value stores are mostly concerned
with relatively flat data structures. That is, they are extremely fast
and scalable regarding retrieval of simple objects, like values,
documents or even objects.

However, if you want to do deeper traversal of e.g. a graph, you will
have to retrieve the nodes for every traversal step (very fast) and
then match them yourself in some manner (e.g. in Java or so) - slow.

Neo4j in contrast is build around the concept of "deep" data
structures. This gives you almost unlimited flexibility regarding the
layout of your data and domain object graph and very fast deep
traversals (hops over several nodes) since they are handled natively
by the Neo4j engine down to the storage layer and not your client
code. The drawback is that for huge data amounts (>1Billion nodes) the
clustering and partitioning of the graph becomes non-trivial, which is
one of the areas we are working on.

Then of course there are differences in the transaction models,
consistency and others, but I hope this gives you a very short
philosophical answer :)

/peter

GTalk:      neubauer.peter
Skype       peter.neubauer