[Neo] Mapping objects

Emil Eifrem emil at neotechnology.com
Wed Apr 1 10:50:48 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:39, Atle Prange <atle.prange at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my search for a better persistence solution than ORMs i accidentally
> came across Neo4J. After reading some articles on the wiki i get the
> impression that Neo4J not only can do the job of persisting object
> graphs, but a really good job too.

Thanks!

> Are there already any efforts made towards node / object and
> relationship / reference conversion?
>
> Any thoughts on where one should start (i have several thoughts myself,
> but would like to hear from the experts first)

Well, the Neo4j crew, when we build apps based on Neo4j then the
lion's share of our domain layer implementation is according to the
patterns outlined on the wiki, e.g.:

   http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Design_Guide#How_to_wrap_nodes_in_POJOs

This means that all state is kept in the node/relationship and we use
the delegator pattern to wrap the node/relationship in domain-centric
operations. That's how we roll it manually.

But I assume you mean transparent mapping? Some work has been done
here, for example by Magnus Robertsson in his neo-weaver component:

   http://components.neo4j.org/neo-weaver/

and:

   http://components.neo4j.org/neo-weaver/apidocs/org/neo4j/weaver/api/DomainObjectFactory.html

Unfortunately, it was a few days hack and it seems to have lost
traction. But it was a good idea that someone should pick up at some
point.

Other than that, we're pretty much blank in terms of object mapping.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

Emil Eifrém, CEO [emil at neotechnology.com]
Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com
Cell: +46 733 462 271 | US: 206 403 8808