[Neo] code formatting

Anders Nawroth anders at neotechnology.com
Mon Sep 29 21:57:26 CEST 2008

Hi!

One thing that disturbs me with the neo4j code formatter is that lines
are wrapped at 80 characters.

Is there any reason for keeping it that low? Splitting code on many
lines can make it harder to read, and
makes for less overview. When I copy code to wiki pages I use to remove
a lot of line-wraps, and the code looks much nicer :-)

Am I missing out on some best practice for splitting up the code in tiny
steps? Shorter variable names? Tools depending on the 80 max width?

WDYT?

I'd say 100-120 characters is a better fit today than 80, especially in
Java. In many cases we use classes/methods with long names that we are
not able to change. The 80 standard width was set by IBM in 1928
(punched cards) :-D

/anders