[Neo] Node reader tools

Johan Svensson johan at neopersistence.com
Sat Apr 7 08:44:13 CEST 2007

On 4/6/07, Klas Ehnrot <klas.ehnrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wonder if there will be some kind of generic NEO tool that can be
> used to query and read NEO:s file system, something compared to a SQL
> editor?

Neo has a pluggable persistence layer and we've tested running Neo on
different persistence sources (such as Berkeley DB and PostgreSQL) but
currently the NioNeo DB that comes with Neo gives the  overall best
performance. If you by "Neo's file system" mean the files that  NioNeo
generates then no, I don't think we will create a tool for that. We are
currently working on creating visualization tools (that can be compared to a
SQL editor) and those tools will use the Neo API (so we can use the same
tool regardless of what persistence source Neo is using).

Another question is what kind of format the Neo files are saved in? It
> looks very binary, serialized objects?

It is binary but we do not serialize objects. NioNeo DB (Native IO Neo
database) stores nodes,relationships and properties in "record based" files
working with primitives. Nodes are stored in the "node store" file, each
node record has a link to a property list (where the nodes properties are
stored) and a link to a relationship list (where the nodes relationships are
stored) and so on. I can give you more information if you are interested and
hopefully GPLv3 will be released soon so people can go in and have a look at
the code. If you still curious we can send you the source code under some
"evil" license.

--
Johan